Sunday, March 20, 2011

Helmet Laws Suck

I live in a helmet-law state so I don't have a choice.  I have to wear a helmet most of the time I'm on the bike.   Not that I'm in any way opposed to strapping on a helmet, but I just don't feel it's anyone's business but me and my family.

The theory that a rider not wearing a helmet is in some way a "public safety" issue holds less water than a pasta strainer.   I'm interested to know how my choice to not wear a helmet, where it's legal to make such a choice, impacts anyone other than me.

Theory: If I crash while not wearing a helmet, I'll become a burden on the tax paying public to pay my medical bills.
Fact:  I have health insurance which pays my medical bills. 

Theory:  I'm much more likely to die in a crash if I'm not wearing a helmet (or seat belt, for that matter) 
Fact: I'm willing to accept that responsibility.  Why does the government care? They don't.  They just want another reason to be able to steal my money in the form of tickets. 

Please feel free to comment if you disagree. Meanwhile, I'll be searching for good enough weather to hit up the Keystone State.

No comments:

Post a Comment